Thursday, September 17, 2026

Why Are Antiwar Voices Harder to Find?

Antiwar protesters march with a banner reading, “We won’t fight another rich man’s war,” speaking out against military conflict.

After looking through Antiwar.com and The American Conservative, I thought about how much the news we follow affects what we hear. Both sites give space to writers who question American military involvement. It made me wonder how many opinions I miss when I only pay attention to familiar news sources.

I think one reason we have to seek out these voices is that they question the starting point of the conversation. Instead of debating how America should handle a war, they ask why America should be involved at all. If a news program mainly invites people who agree military action is needed, I might hear different plans without hearing an argument against the war itself.

I also think there is pressure to support government decisions during a war. People may worry that speaking against it will make them seem unpatriotic. I do not think that is fair. I can care about my country and still question whether its leaders are making the right choices.

I would want to know what a war could mean for the people fighting and the families living through it. Those are serious concerns, and I think people should feel comfortable raising them. I would have a hard time trusting a discussion that leaves those questions out.

This is why I connect antiwar speech to the First Amendment and the importance of discussion. I need to hear opposing arguments to decide what I believe. As a Sports Media student, I think journalists should make room for those disagreements.

I would not say mainstream news never includes antiwar views. I also would not trust a website just because it challenges the government. Still, I think having to search for these arguments shows why I need to look beyond familiar sources and pay attention to who is being left out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Modern Technology and the Loss of Privacy

Growing up in Brooklyn, I was used to seeing security cameras outside stores, apartment buildings, and subway stations. They felt like a nor...