Saturday, September 26, 2026

Modern Technology and the Loss of Privacy

Growing up in Brooklyn, I was used to seeing security cameras outside stores, apartment buildings, and subway stations. They felt like a normal part of living in a city. I rarely thought about who could access the recordings or how they might be used. Learning more about digital privacy has made me think about what happens to information collected about us as we go through everyday life.

As a college student studying Sports Media, I depend on technology. I use cameras to photograph games, social media to share my work, and my phone to communicate with friends, family, and clients. These tools are important to my education and career. Still, using them should not require giving up control over my personal information.

Security cameras are a familiar part of city life, but the information they collect raises questions about privacy and access.

One concern is the use of automated license plate readers, including those sold by Flock Safety. The American Civil Liberties Union has criticized these systems and argued that the company’s announced changes do not address their privacy risks. This raises important questions about who can search the records, how the information is stored, and how misuse is prevented.

I understand the value of helping police investigate crimes and keep communities safe. However, collecting information about people’s movements requires clear limits. I would certainly feel uncomfortable knowing that someone could search records of my daily trips without a valid reason. My friends and family deserve to go to work, attend appointments, and visit other people without worrying about how those activities might be examined.

Phone surveillance raises similar concerns. Cell-site simulators are devices that can help law enforcement identify or locate phones. Under Department of Justice policy, its officers generally need a warrant supported by probable cause to use this technology, although limited exceptions exist. These requirements are important because access to information about someone’s phone should come with oversight.

Privacy concerns also involve the companies we use every day. In the Cambridge Analytica case, the Federal Trade Commission found that the company used deceptive practices to collect personal information from tens of millions of Facebook users for voter profiling and targeting. This case shows why people need clear information about who receives their data and what they plan to do with it.

Privacy settings give users some control, but companies also have a responsibility to protect personal information.

This issue connects directly to my work as a photographer. Sharing photographs online helps me reach athletes, connect with clients, and build a portfolio. I want people to see my work, but I also want control over what I share about myself. Posting a photograph should not be treated as permission to collect unrelated personal information.

Photography also gives me a responsibility to consider other people’s privacy. Before posting, I should think about who appears in an image, the setting in which it was taken, and whether sharing it could reveal something personal. Building a professional reputation includes being thoughtful about the people whose lives appear in my work.

I believe the government should require clear explanations of how personal information is collected, stored, and shared. There should be limits on keeping unnecessary data and consequences when organizations misuse it. People should not need legal training to understand what they are agreeing to when they use an app.

I can also take more care with my own habits. Reviewing app permissions, limiting location access, and thinking before posting are practical steps I can take. For my friends and family, these same choices can help make privacy part of our regular conversations about technology.

Technology will continue to be a major part of my life and career. I want to use it with a better understanding of where my information goes. The ability to communicate, create, and share should come with clear protections for the people using these tools.


AI Disclosure: AI was not used for this assignment.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Modern Technology and the Loss of Privacy

Growing up in Brooklyn, I was used to seeing security cameras outside stores, apartment buildings, and subway stations. They felt like a nor...