Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Finding My Voice Through Sports Media


HPU BASEBALL PHOTOS



Caption: Covering HPU Baseball has helped me develop my own creative style while also telling the stories of the players and the program.

Out of the Eight Values of Free Expression, the one that connects with me most is Individual Self-Fulfillment, also called Self-Actualization. This value is based on the idea that free expression helps people form their identities and become who they want to be. C. Edwin Baker’s liberty model explains that expression should be protected because of its value to the individual, not only because it benefits society. The First Amendment Encyclopedia describes this as the importance of “self-fulfillment” and “self-realization.” I connect with this theory because photography and videography have helped me find my voice and decide what I want my future to look like.

I am a Sports Media and Communications student at High Point University, and most of my life currently revolves around creating sports content. I photograph games, record videos, edit content, and help tell stories through social media. I do it because I love sports, but I also love capturing moments that other people may not notice. A player celebrating with his teammates, sitting alone before a game, or showing his personality during practice can sometimes tell a better story than the biggest play of the night. Choosing those moments is one way I express myself.

My work with HPU Athletics has also shown me that expression can look different depending on whom I represent. When I create content for the university, I am representing a team and a larger organization. The department monitors what can be posted, and the content has to fit its strategy. I understand that responsibility because the account is not only about me or my personal style. However, on my own account, OmriCreative, I have much more freedom. I can experiment with color, editing, angles, and the moments I choose to share. That freedom has helped me become more confident and understand what makes my work feel like mine.

This idea also affects the HPU Baseball players I photograph. I do not want my content to present them as only a jersey number or a statistic. Photos, interviews, and behind-the-scenes videos can show their personalities and allow fans to connect with them as people. Social media has made that even more important during the NIL era. A TIME article about the Cavinder twins shows how college athletes used social media to build an audience and create opportunities beyond basketball. Their example proves that personal expression can influence how athletes are seen and what opportunities become available to them.

For me, free expression is not just a legal theory from class. It is part of how I am developing as a photographer, storyteller, and person. My creative work allows me to share how I see sports while helping athletes show who they are beyond the field. Every game I cover and every project I create brings me closer to the career I want. That is why Individual Self-Fulfillment matters most to me: expression gives people the freedom to discover their identity and the confidence to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Modern Technology and the Loss of Privacy

Growing up in Brooklyn, I was used to seeing security cameras outside stores, apartment buildings, and subway stations. They felt like a nor...